Choosing the right instrument for your child is a big decision and can be a real challenge especially for parents without a musical background. We teach over 20 instruments here and have these conversations with families very often and would recommend you consider the following:
- Student age: some instruments are easier to begin with than others, especially for young learners.
- Accessibility: musical instruments can be expensive, especially if you are not even sure your child will like them, if you have access to an instrument it may be a good place to start.
- Talk to someone in the know: someone like us who knows the pros and cons of each instrument and can apply them to your family situation for you.
- Influence: Do you have a musician in your family/friend group? Having someone to share your learning/journey with ca n have a huge positive impact.
- Interest: Has your child shown an interest in any instrument, maybe from a show they watched, or a concert they went to, or something they learned at school. Going with an interest will see your child more engaged in the learning as they are already warm to the idea.
We hope that helps get started and please be in touch if you have any questions!